In 1840 the land developed as Lawnside was purchased by Abolitionists for freed and escaped slaves.
On April 20, 1926, all who could, passed through the doors of the public school on Warwick Road to cast their ballot in the Official Special election of the borough of Lawnside. Just one month earlier, on March 23, 1926, New Jersey Governor A. Harry Moore signed into law State Assembly Bill 561, dissolved Center Township - of which Lawnside was a part - and incorporated the Borough of Lawnside.
This first election propelled Lawnside into the local and national spotlight and claimed its place in history, becoming the first independent self-governing African-American community north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Lawnside borders the Camden County municipalities of Barrington, Cherry Hill, Magnolia, Somerdale, and Tavistock.
Population 2010 Census : 2945
Lawnside is located in the 1st Congressional district and is part of the 5th Legislative district.
Peter Mott - (1807-1881) An African-American farmer who provided refuge to escaping slaves during the year leading up to the Civil War. Peter Mott settled in the free black community known as "Snow Hill" with his wife Elizabeth. In 1907 Snow Hill was renamed Lawnside which became the only antebellum, black community to become an incorporated municipality in the State of N.J.
Peter Mott bought the first three parcels of land which he built a house and became an active participant in the Underground Railroad. The Peter Mott house is located at the corner of Moore & Gloucester Ayes. It was saved from demolition by the Lawnside Historical Society.